If your wedding is being performed within the next 30 days, in Ohio County, you have 3 options:

  1. Fill out our Marriage Application form, here
  2. Contact our office at (270) 298-4423.
  3. Come visit us in the office. You will be asked to provide:
    • Driver’s License
    • Check, Credit Card, Cash or Money Order ($50.00)
Marriage License Requirements:
  • Both must be 18 years old or older (if either party is under 18, please see requirements below)
  • There is no waiting period, blood test or physical requirement.
  • The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.
  • The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.
How can we obtain our marriage license?
  • Both parties must apply for the license together.
  • Both must present an acceptable form of ID (Drivers’ license, government issued picture ID, original birth certificate, passport, or social security card)
  • Correct spelling of father’s full name and mother’s full maiden name (first, middle and last)
  • Fee of $50.00 is due in full at the time of application
What do we do after we are married?
  • The officiate will return the signed marriage application to the County Clerk’s Office. It will be filed with the County Clerk and a Marriage License will be issued to the couple.
  • When changing your maiden name, you will take your marriage license to the Social Security Administration.
  • Upon receiving clearance from the Social Security Administration, then you may change your name on your driver’s license.
Minister Requirements
  • The “recognition” of a minister can take the form of ordination or license, or any other form which expresses clearly the fact that a religious group recognizes the person or looks to the person as a minister of that specific group. Currently, there is not a registration process for a minister to preform ceremonies in Kentucky.
Need a copy of a marriage license?
  • For a marriage license copy request, the following fees are required:
    • Photocopy: $0.50 per page
    • Certified copy: $5.00 per certified copy
Requirements to marry a person under the age of 18
  • Must be 16 years of age. Neither party can be under 16 may be issued a marriage license without an order from the District Court. The bride must be pregnant before the court will issue an order.
  • A female minor must make application in the county of her parent’s residence, but can get married in another county after she has completed the requirements for the license.
  • A Consent to Marriage Form (84-FCC-501) is required. This must be completed, witnessed, signed by the parents or legal guardian of the minor, and sworn by the deputy clerk. (A guardian must bring the document affirming guardianship).
  • One parent or legal guardian* and two witnesses 18 years old or older, must sign the Consent to Marriage Form for each minor.
  • If the parents of either minor are divorced, custody papers are required to sign the Consent to Marriage Form.
  • Birth Certificate and Driver’s License/State ID


NOTE: Legal guardian must have full guardianship. Kentucky does not marry minors whose parents reside outside the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Ohio County Clerk - Bess Ralph

Bess Ralph

Ohio County Clerk

Ohio County Deputy Clerk - Christina Shepard

Christina Shephard 

Chief Deputy

Hartford Office:

Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

301 S Main St #201,
Hartford, KY 42347

Email: [email protected]

Motor Vehicle Department:

Phone: (270) 298-4422
Fax: (270) 298-4425

Recording Department:

Phone: (270) 298-4423
Fax: (270) 298-4426

Fordsville Office:

Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Closed for lunch - 12-12:30 p.m.
Phone: (270) 276-3904

Holiday Closures

 Give us your feedback

Skip to content