Motor Vehicle Licensing is the most frequently visited area of the Clerk’s office. Motor vehicle licenses must be renewed annually and any sale of a motor vehicle must be registered within 15 days of purchase.
The Motor Vehicle Department enables citizens to look up information on tagging vehicles, what types of plates are available, necessary paperwork to register a vehicle, paperwork needed to apply for a duplicate title, and phone numbers and links to the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to find out information on DOT numbers, apportion plates, etc., as well as download and print forms.
How to check my previously paid Motor Vehicle Taxes?
- You need the VIN, which is found in one of the following locations:
- On the dash of your vehicle.
- On the vehicle title.
- On your registration.
- VIN Lookup
The process to Apply for a Personalized Plate
- Go to drive.ky.gov and select the plate style you would like to personalize.
- Check to see if your personalization is available.
- If available, you will submit an online pre-application to the Division of Motor Vehicle Licensing (MVL).
- A committee within MVL will approve or deny your request.
- If approved you must bring your pre-approval form and application to the County Clerk to process your application at that time you will pay the $25.00 fee.
- The plate will arrive at the County Clerk’s office within 4-8 weeks. Be sure to bring in your current plate to exchange for your personalized plate.
What do I need to bring to the County Clerk’s office to renew my registration?
- Kentucky Certificate of Registration (Full Size White Sheet Certificate of Registration).
- Current insurance card.
- The effective date must be within 45 days of your renewal visit.
- Check, Cash, or Card for Payment.
- If you use a credit card there is a processing fee of 2.75% of the total.
- If you use a debit card there is a processing fee of $2.50 added to the total.
Where do I obtain a vehicle inspection in Ohio County?
- The Ohio County Sheriff’s Office currently performs vehicle inspections.
- Sheriff Inspections are required for any motorized road vehicle transferring in from out of state and for rebuilt vehicles.
- Find out what documents you will need for an inspection and why you would need one at the Ohio County Sheriff’s website, here.
Ohio County Clerk
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Motor Vehicle Department:
Phone: (270) 298-4422
Fax: (270) 298-4425
Phone: (270) 298-4423
Fax: (270) 298-4426
Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Closed for lunch - 12-12:30 p.m.
Phone: (270) 276-3904